The Ngarluma and Yindjibarndi lands in the Pilbara area of WA comprise of over 11,000 km2 of vast mountain ranges and gorges, rolling rocky outcrops and rivers, and spectacular coastline. It stretches from the azure waters of the Pilbara coast to the Millstream-Chichester National Park to the south, from around Whim Creek in the east to just west of Pannawonica.
Ngarluma & Yindjibarndi Foundation Ltd (NYFL) aim is to establish a sustainable future for its members and beneficiaries across social, cultural, economic, health, business and education opportunities, by seeking and realizing commercial opportunities in this dynamic region.
Importantly, these income streams are allowing NYFL to devote increasing budgets towards our constitutional requirements. Our membership has grown from an initial 320 when the Agreement was signed in 1998 to currently in excess. of 1800 people – and is still growing.
Vision & Objectives
NYFL’s vision is to secure an independent future for the Ngarluma and Yindjibarndi people and their communities, whilst striving to realise our social, cultural, economic, health, business and education opportunities and strengthening our cultural heritage through law, language and art. Our company prides itself on strong community values, providing the best opportunities and career avenues for our local Indigenous people and integrating their talents on a larger scale.
NYFL was established to promote the interests of the Ngarluma and Yindjibarndi people by:
- Creating and operating initiatives for social, cultural, economic, business and educational developments;
- Creating and operating initiatives for better health and wellbeing;
- Developing, maintaining and providing assistance for education, advancement and training;
- Preserving and enhancing the spoken languages of the Ngarluma and Yindjibarndi people, and developing literacy programs and literature and art consistent with the culture;
- Developing business enterprises, assist in evaluating business opportunities, acquiring business and management skills and helping to develop successful business enterprises; and, developing, encouraging, maintaining and supporting social development programs.